I’ve often wondered about what came first – the chicken or the egg! But I’m not talking about chickens or eggs but confidence and empowerment!
Most of us can probably relate to feeling more confident as we get older, and yet in some circumstances we start to lose confidence the older we get!
This made me wonder what came first, and is it different for us all.
Does self-empowerment build confidence or does having confidence make us self-empowered? I feel both confidence and self-empowerment go hand in hand.
If we really think about what self-empowerment means, we would realise that part of feeling self-empowered is having confidence in ourselves, having self-belief, being able to feel we can tackle those challenges.
Many underestimate, undervalue or are unaware of their abilities. This can be due to some not being aware of, or not understanding or valuing their own strengths and weaknesses, and so feeling they are unable to empower themselves. We must understand our strengths and weaknesses, and have belief in ourselves if we want to get what we want in our lives.
If you feel powerless and feel you don’t have control with how things are going in your business or personal life? If you often feel disempowered and regularly lack confidence, then here is an exercise I would like to share with you.
Score these questions out of 10
1. How confident do you feel?
2. How confident do you feel about making choices?
3. Do you often focus on negative rather than positive choices?
4. How determined do you feel?
5. How empowered do you feel?
- Focus on your lowest scores and start an action plan to complete just one action a week to take you out of your comfort zone
- Write down how you are feeling as you go through the process and once you have completed the action
- Re-score the questions above and continue this exercise weekly
If you can complete just one action a week you will start to feel more confident and empowered, but more importantly will start to increase belief in yourself.