When it comes to communication, we are often good at communicating with others but not so good about communicating with ourselves.
Are you one of those people who is great about offering great ideas, suggestions or advice to others, but not great at giving them to yourself?
Did you know we can help ourselves through auto or self-suggestion, where we can encourage our conscious and sub-conscious to believe in what we are saying?
Auto and self-suggestion is a form of self-induced suggestion where individuals guide their thoughts, feelings, or behaviour, and can be creative or destructive; positive or negative.
Sometimes pretending we are offering the suggestion to someone else is a good place to start.
How can we be better at suggesting great things to ourselves?
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Statement of your desire – be clear what you want and start putting statements together of a positive nature so that you believe what you’re saying
- Day by day we get better – practice makes perfect; remember it takes up to 6 weeks to create a new habit; keep at it and you will improve as you go
- Emotion feelings words – the words you use are important, plain words don’t work as we don’t believe them; be mindful of putting lots of emotive words in the statements you use
- Repetition – it’s not going to work if we only say it once; repeating these statements or suggestions is very important; try saying these morning and evening
- Need to say the words out loud – it’s not good enough to say these emotive words repeatedly to ourselves; we need to say them out loud, so we really believe them; hearing ourselves saying it is really important
- Thoughts and emotion = feeling and results – following all the steps above and putting emotion into our thoughts creates great feeling and wonderful results
If you want to be just as great at suggesting things to yourself as you are to others try the steps above and see how you can make a difference in your own life.