The general meaning of Self-empowerment is taking control of our own life, setting goals, and making positive choices.
It can also mean our ability to overcome our sense of powerlessness and lack of influence and to recognise and use our resources.
Often people will say they don’t feel one of the team; instead feeling an outsider. This feeling of not being included or feeling excluded and not ‘one of the guys’ can be a debilitating experience and a lonely place to be.
Feeling lonely or left out, looking at other people having things that you feel you don’t have, can make you feel you have something missing in your life, and of course this can hold you back, and give you a feeling of disempowerment.
Do you need to empower yourself but can’t?
Here are 7 tips which I would like to share with you to give you some ideas of how you can unlock the secret of self-empowerment.
- Take the mirror test – take a good look at yourself
- See yourself differently – a person of influence
- Take personal responsibility to utilise your own personal resources
- No excuses! Remember it’s down to you to make a change
- Be determined to say ‘I can and will make my own choices’
- Remember that all decisions are yours and yours only
- Generate a ‘hunger’ in yourself to overcome those challenges
Personal or self-empowerment involves developing confidence and strength in yourself to set realistic goals to help you reach your full potential.
Remember that everyone has strengths and weaknesses and a variety of soft and hard skills that we use on a regular basis, and so need to work on recognising the abilities we have and utilise those wonderful resources to achieve our dreams.
“At first, dreams seem impossible, then improbable, and eventually inevitable.” Christopher Reeve
Consider using these positive affirmations:
- I don’t blame others for my own failures or shortcomings
- I don’t depend on others to make me feel safe and secure
You are the creation of your own destiny and can focus on improving what you do and how you do it, enjoying your journey to self-empowerment.