We hear about belief systems a great deal, but what are they and how can we use them to help us day to day?
As the saying goes:
“A wise old owl sat in an oak.
The more he heard the less he spoke,
The less he spoke the more he heard,
Why can’t we all be like that wise old bird”.
Whilst we are trying to be all things to all people and sometimes being a master of none, we are also trying to tackle those things which we aren’t experienced or knowledgeable in and end up overwhelmed, or worse still being burnt out!
Here are FIVE tips which I want to share with you:
- Listening to others – we often think we know best because we don’t want to show our ignorance or lack of knowledge in something, but listening to others and being open about what we don’t know, shows common sense; everyone has to learn from scratch!
- Trusting yourself – now this is always the hard one isn’t it? If our belief system is focusing on the ‘default’ of negative most of the time, then it is telling us not to trust ourselves, reducing our confidence. We should learn to trust ourselves, listen to our gut, believe in our intuition and go with that. It’s surprising what we can achieve!
- Having patience – there is a saying ‘good things come to those who wait’ and ‘patience is a virtue’, but we know in business, particularly when we are new, patience is imperative. Being impatient can lead to mistakes, so pace yourself and good things will come!
- Hearing more and speaking less – being like the wise old owl, hearing more and speaking less. Sometimes easy to say but hard to do. Doing more than listening, but hearing what people say helps us learn so much more!
- Don’t be afraid – it’s hard not to be afraid, as sometimes we are really stepping into the unknown. It’s more than that, it’s about not being afraid to ask for or pay for help. We can waste so much time being afraid and not asking, and sometimes in doing so we make costly mistakes
Being wise like an owl can be a hoot! What are you waiting for?
Subscribe to Success Factor Wednesday Wake-Up: www.successfactor.co.nz